Heiligengrabe Cistercian Abbey

Bild eines Klosters - Heiligengrabe Cistercian Abbey

In 1287, Margrave Otto V of Brandenburg founded the monastery ‘Zum Heiligen Grabe’ (Holy Sepulchre) near Techow. The cause for the foundation was a blood miracle in the wake of a host desecration, as reported in a pamphlet from 1521. At the same time, the construction of the new chapel of the Holy Sepulchre aimed at establishing Heiligengrabe as a pilgrimage destination. After the Reformation, Heiligengrabe continued to exist as a Protestant convent and was converted into a convent for noble ladies in 1742. Even today it still houses a convent for women who live and work there.

Icon eines Kalenders für Klosterland-Veranstaltungen

Heiligengrabe Cistercian Abbey

Stiftgelände 1

16909 Heiligengrabe






The complex still gives a remarkably coherent impression of a medieval monastery. The centre consists of the former abbey church, today’s conventual church, together with the adjacent cloister buildings. To the west of it, in the chapel of the Holy Sepulchre with its imposing stepped gables and neo-Gothic painting, there is a 13th century site of a Holy Sepulchre. The canons’ house, agricultural and administrative buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries complete the complex in an impressive way.


Heiligengrabe is situated in the east of the Prignitz region, a historic landscape between Berlin and Hamburg. The diversity of the landscape ranges from the biosphere reserve of the Elbe river landscape in the west to one of the largest heathlands in Europe, the Kyritz-Ruppiner Heide, in the east. Quaint villages, medieval towns, a diverse range of museums, churches and monasteries invite you to make cultural discoveries. Numerous bicycle trails make the region a paradise for tourists.


To the west of the abbey church is the chapel of the Holy Sepulchre. The imposing aisleless church building, which was completed in 1520 on the site of two previous buildings, at its end faces has richly designed stepped gables. The interior of the four-bayed hall is structured by buttresses that support a stellar vault. The neo-Gothic painting was carried out in 1903/04. In 1986, a burial vault was uncovered under the floor, which was probably already constructed as a Holy Sepulchre at the time of the foundation of the monastery.